What would we cover in this article?
Following are the topics we would discuss in the article. You can skip to relevant sections by following the links below.
- Advantages of advertising during live streaming of sports
- Popularity of T20 World Cup
- T20 World Cup live streaming on Hotstar
- Understanding the T20 World Cup audience on Hotstar
- Why should brands advertise on Hotstar?
- Advertising options on Hotstar during T20 World Cup live streaming
- T20 World Cup Advertising targeting options and examples
- T20 World Cup 2021 Advertising Rates
- Other opportunities to advertise in T20 World Cup 2021
- How to maximize the ROI using Hotstar advertising during T20 World Cup
- Best practices for Low & High Budget T20 World Cup Advertisers on Hotstar
- Common questions about T20 World Cup advertising
- Hotstar T20 World Cup 2021 Advertising: Case Studies
- T20 World Cup Advertising Tips: How to design an effective creative?
- How to measure the performance of your campaign?
- Advertise with us in T20 World Cup 2021 on Hotstar.
Why do brands like advertising during live streaming/broadcasting of sports?
When it comes to sports as well as brands, people share the same kind of sentiments. Just like sports fans can go on for hours, debating about their favorite sports-persons and games, brand evangelists too aggressively vouch for the brands they love. But should this be the only reason for advertising during live matches? No, there’s much more to this.
Before we get into the marketing and psychological factors of sports sponsorship and advertising, can we entertain you with a fun fact? Sports sponsorship dates back to the times of gladiators in ancient Rome where wealthy and influential citizens sponsored the gladiator combats which used to be advertised on walls and pamphlets used to be distributed.
Moving on to the current scenario, here are some of the reasons why brands prefer advertising during live streaming/broadcast of sports:
Highly engaged audience: No channel switching during ad breaks!
Though streaming on the same devices as series, movies or other content, live sports are far more engaging. Sports matches are not only a source of entertainment but major events that attract a lot of news and discussions. It’s like an edge-of-the-seat thriller where each and every action can lead to a different outcome. Hence, it commands the highest level of attention by the viewers who don’t even change channels or swap the screens during commercial breaks which are much shorter too.
Strong emotional connect: Games end but memories stay!
Sports is not only a source of entertainment but a demonstration of action, skill, group dynamics, leadership, entertainment as well as pride (team/state/national level). The motive to watch live sports might vary for the sports audience from national pride to following a particular sports player, but the emotions are strong and everything that happens during a match leaves a deep and long-lasting impact on the audience mind including which brands were associated with the match.
Positive association with brands: Remember those ads we watched during the T20 World Cup 2020?
Sports is often associated with several positive emotions- patriotism, a bias for action, brotherhood, transparency, fair play, etc. When a brand associates itself with sports, in the audience’s minds, similar associations are formed with the brands too.
ICC T20 World Cup: Cricket’s Biggest Festival
There are many obvious reasons for the popularity of T20 World Cup:
- Shorter format means higher attention span
T20 World Cup is a shorter format of the game where both teams have single innings each which is limited to a maximum of 20 overs. This short form makes it easier to hold people’s excitement which is otherwise difficult if the match goes on for multiple days. It also means that the game can attract new fans, who may not have the patience of watching a game for too long.
- More entertaining than other formats
T20 is fast-paced and one good over can change the entire game, which means that the batsmen are always trying to take more risks with batting and bowling, resulting in an exciting and fast-paced game. The audience is always on their toes with the multiple 4s and 6s hit by the batsmen as they try to outdo each other.
- High viewership and advertising records
When it comes to viewership and advertising, the T20 World Cup again bags the top spot.The T20 World Cup 2016 broke many viewership records:
In India alone, the India versus Pakistan encounter rated 17.3 across the Star Sports network and Doordarshan, the best rated T20 match ever since the final of the T20 World Cup in 2007, reaching 83 million people. The cumulative in-home viewership for the event in India was 730 million, an increase of 114% over the previous edition.
After the cancellation of the T20 World Cup 2018, the next series was supposed to happen in the year 2020. But due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all major events had to be cancelled or postponed.
Now as the situation gradually improves, so does the online search for the T20 World Cup 2021 among people. Here is the search trend from August 202 to August 2021 for The T20 World Cup:
We all know Cricket is synonymous to God in India. Even with formats like IPL, the excitement and enthusiasm of people for the teams of their particular states is off the charts. Imagine the case with formats like the World Cup when the country is competing against the best teams of the world. The outpour of support is hence amplified due to patriotism.
The event has generally been held every two years, the last one being held in 2016. In May 2016, the ICC put forward the idea of having a tournament in 2018, with South Africa being the possible host. But at the conclusion of the 2017 ICC Champions Trophy, the ICC dropped the idea of the 2018 edition.
The seventh ICC Men’s T20 World Cup tournament was scheduled to take place in 2020 in Australia, but due to COVID-19, the tournament was again postponed to 2021, with the host changed to India. However, due to the deteriorating situation of COVID-19 pandemic in India, the matches were relocated to the United Arab Emirates and Oman. The series will now be played from 17 October to 14 November 2021.
ICC T20 World Cup 2021 Schedule
A total of 16 teams will be participating in this season of the T20 world cup to compete for the title. Eight Teams including Australia, Pakistan, India, England, South Africa, New Zealand, West Indies and Afghanistan have been directly qualified for the Super 12s Stage. However, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh have not qualified for the Super 12s, so they will be competing in the Round 1 Stage along with the six ICC T20 World Cup 2021 Qualifiers Teams.
ICC T20 World Cup 2021 Tournament Format
The ICC T20 World Cup 2021 has been divided into three stages.
- Round 1
- Super 12
- Knockout Stage
The First Stage of this T20 World Cup is called Round 1 which consists of Group A and group B. Sri Lanka will battle against the ICC T20 World Cup Qualifiers in The Group A. While, in Group B, Bangladesh will meet the ICC T20 World Cup 2021 Qualifiers teams to get a entry in the Super 12 Stage.
The next Stage of the ICC T20 World Cup 2021 is called Super 12s in which the four qualifiers teams from the First Round will contest along with the eight Top ranked T20 teams who have already qualified for the Super 12s Stage. Furthermore, the Super 12 Stage is divided into two sub groups called Group A and Group B.
Group 1 includes Pakistan, Australia, West Indies, New Zealand and the 1st Qualifier Team from Group A of First Round along with the second qualifying team from Group B of the First Round.
Whereas, Group 2 counts India, England, South Africa, Afghanistan and the first qualifying team from Group B of the First Round along with the second Qualifying team from Group A of the First Round.
The Knockout Stage
The third and the last stage of this tournament is called the knockout stage in which the four qualifying teams will battle till the ICC T20 World Cup 2021 final match to conclude the T20 World Cup winners for 2021 season.
Following is the schedule of upcoming T20 World Cup 2021 matches:
Apart from being a sporting event, the T20 World Cup is also packed with entertainment and marketing events. From quirky ads to catchy jingles, contests, celebrity’s performance, fantasy sports league, on-ground activation, there has been no-stone unturned when it comes to promoting the mega event.
Here’s what marketers have to say about T20 World Cup 2021:
T20 World Cup live streaming on Hotstar: Shrinking an entire stadium into a mobile screen
Star India-owned video streaming platform Disney+ Hotstar has roped in four sponsors for the upcoming ICC T20 World Cup 2021 almost two months before the tournament kicks off. Dream11, Vimal Pan Masala, CoinSwitch, and BharatPe have come on-board as sponsors.
Hotstar is the digital arm of Star India. It is one of the largest video OTT platforms in India. In April 2020, Hotstar was merged with Disney+ to be rechristened as Disney+Hotstar.
Star India purchased the official TV licence to live telecast all the major ICC Events from 2015 to 2023. So, Star Sports will bring live coverage for ICC T20 World Cup 2021 in India on television. This means that Star India channels in case of TV and Hotstar in terms of digital have the official rights to broadcast and stream live T20 World Cup matches.
While television broadcasting and digital streaming are meant to watch the live matches only, Hotstar went beyond to ensure that the experience of viewing T20 World Cup matches live is not unidirectional but also engaging the audience and providing them a platform to connect with friends and family while enjoying the game.
Advertising on Hotstar: Understanding the Audience
- Reach: T20 World Cup expects an average reach of 200-230 million, which is almost as big as the IPL.
- Young, Urban, Male: Disney+ Hotstar has the largest sports viewing premium audience with ~65% Male, 70% of whom are between the age of 18-34 years, NCCS AB Urban population of India. Out of this, 87% of male audience watches the ICC World Cup with 62% of them being above the age of 25 years.
- Affluent Audience with High Propensity to make online transactions: Advertising on T20 World Cup on Hotstar is one of the fewest ways to target the SVOD audience who are affluent and are definitely acquainted with one of the online payment methods. Here’s a snapshot of Hotstar + Disney’s penetration among various categories:
- Education: 40% Hotstar users are Graduates/Diploma Holders.
- Income: Average monthly household income is ~ INR 18,000.
- Ownership: More than 70% penetration in premium durables.
- Finance: 63% penetration in credit card users.
- Entertainment: 90% penetration in paid OTT apps audience.
- Online Shopping: 66% penetration among monthly online shoppers.
- Travel & Holiday: 66% of annual travelers.
- Engaged Audience: ICC events drive 60% more conversations than other top cricket.
T20 World Cup Advertising on Hotstar: Advantages for advertisers
High Impact Advertising: The impact of Hotstar advertising during live cricket is unparalleled. Here is a snapshot of average lift offered by Hotstar ads during IPL 2019:
As seen in the above image, advertising on IPL on Hotstar has brought an uplift of 9-10% across aided awareness, message association, brand favourability and purchase intent.
Not only this, when compared to other mediums of advertising, Hotstar has brought a disproportionate amount of impact when compared to share of spends (as seen in image above).
- Target premium audience: One of the major advantages that Hotstar offers is the ability to target premium (NCCS A/B) audience during a live match. This is something unheard of for other platforms. World cup viewers are 1.7x more likely to be NCCS A vs average internet users. It also lets you reach out to high attention audiences via CTV targeting- CTV viewers are 3x as engaged as mobile viewers.
- Leverage highlights to increase reach– Highlights based campaigns deliver 25% higher reach and are 20% incremental over live viewership.
- Audience profile: Major part of the T20 World Cup audience on Hotstar is formed by the millennial and Gen Z (Above 15 years of age), urban males with high purchasing power and a high propensity to buy. A report by KPMG has categorized digital users of the country in various brackets based on the income level and evolution of these digital users. The audience profile of Hotstar matches that to the top-level digital consumers of the country- Digital Sophisticates (top 3%) and parts of Digital Enthusiasts (36%) and has the following characteristics:
- They belong to the top income bracket in the country and complete most transactions online.
- Likely to have several paid video & audio subscriptions that make it difficult to target them through advertising on digital platforms since Hotstar T20 World Cup is one of the fewest media to advertise to paid subscribers of OTT.
- Highly engaged users: Apart from live sports, Hotstar also offers regional language commentary, a live sports game to play, and a social feed to share emojis and comments, and this year, they have introduced watch parties as well. The result is a highly engaged user. According to the latest report, IPL 2020 on Hotstar recorded a 33% higher watch time per user vs IPL 2019 on Hotstar.
- Low cost per reach: 1000 ad impressions (views) can cost as low as INR 210, ie. 21 paise per view for mid-roll video ads.
- Low advertising budget: Sports advertising is widely popular for being a high-impact property. For years, sports advertising has meant television advertising where although reach is high, advertising packages have been exorbitantly high-priced. Hotstar has disrupted this practice by offering advertising packages for as low as INR 1 Lakh. Now advertisers have more power in their hands to decide where and how to advertise.
Check out the various advertising rates and options here.
T20 World Cup on Hotstar: What are the various options for advertising on Hotstar
Brands who want to raise their awareness among the audience and capture their attention should opt for T20 World Cup advertising. These are apt for both online and offline brands like FMCG, automobile etc. These ads are charged on the basis of views/impressions. The objective of these ads would be to reach out to the maximum number of people and gain their attention and trust by showing these ads the optimum number of times.
- Mid-Roll Video Ads
Mid roll video ads are 10-30 sec non-skippable ads that would be played during the over breaks, drink breaks and other breaks during the live streaming of matches. These ads are very effective in terms of branding because they are long enough to narrate a touching story and are delivered to an audience that is highly engaged in the match. However, these might not be a very good option for driving traffic to the website since people would not like to leave a live match to visit another website. Only one level of targeting is possible for mid roll video ads.
- Pre-Roll Video Ads
Pre-roll video ads are 5-10 sec long non-skippable ads that are played before the live streaming of a game starts. Since these are played before the live streaming of matches, they are not as high impact as mid-roll ads but experience a higher CTR. One level of targeting is possible in the case of pre-roll video ads.
- Branded Cards
Branded Cards are simple banners that carry the brand logo and message. These are placed just below the live streaming of matches in the social live feed. Brand cards also go under one level of targeting.
Following is a comparative table having details about all the three ads types:
|App/Website||Mobile App, Website & Connected TV||Mobile App & Website||Mobile App|
|Ad Length||10-30 sec||5-10 sec||NA|
|Placement||Within the live video, during over breaks/drink breaks||Before the live video starts streaming*||Appears in the social live feed*|
|Avg CTR||~0.2% to 0.5%||~2% to 4%||~0.5%|
|No. Of Targeting Possible||1||1||1|
Check out the various advertising rates and options here.
T20 World Cup on Hotstar: Understanding the Audience Targeting Options
Hotstar offers 25 cohorts/target audience groups for advertisers to select from. These targeting options can be divided into 3 categories/levels:
- Geography Targeting
Based on geography, there are 18 location options to select the target geography. Advertisers can select one or combination of more than one location based on their target audience. Following are the 18 locations options:
- Combination of cities:
- Top 6 Metros: Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata, Bangalore & Hyderabad
- 1 Mn+ Town: Pune, Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Patna, Indore, Bhopal, Lucknow, Ludhiana, Ernakulam, Ranchi, Surat, Chandigarh, Kanpur
- Combination of states:
- HSM (Hindi Speaking Market): Pan India minus the Southern States
- Southern States: Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka, Kerala
- North India: Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jammu & Kashmir, and Himachal Pradesh
- West India: Maharashtra and Gujarat
- East India: West Bengal, Assam, Odisha, Bihar, Jharkhand & North Eastern States
- Individual States: Maharashtra, Gujarat, AP + Telangana, Tamil Nadu, UP + the UK
- Individual Cities: Mumbai, Delhi NCR, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai & Kolkata
- Audience Targeting
Audience targeting is based on the audience profile-
- Age based targeting: This type of targeting is done on the basis of the age of the audience, for example- less than 30 years or more than 30 years.
- Language Targeting: This targeting is based on the language the audience selects for the in-match displays and the commentary. The available options are- Tamil, Telugu and Kannada.
- Interest targeting: This type of targeting is for audiences that are especially interested in and are active users of e-commerce sites for shopping.
- Telecom targeting: This type of targeting is for users who use a particular service provider like Jio users or non Jio users.
- NCCS A, B audiences: NCCS stands for ‘New Consumer Classification System’ and is used for consumer classification. Consumer Classification means segmenting the consumers on the likelihood of them buying products at different price points. NCCS uses income and education level of the chief wage earner as a basis for segmentation.
- Device Targeting: This targeting is based on the device that the audience is using to watch the matches. It can be further divided into: 15K+ Devices: This targeting option is for brands who want to target a premium audience by showing ads to audiences having a handset of value more than INR 15,000. Below INR 15K Devices: This targeting option is for brands who want to target masses by showing ads to audiences having a handset of value less than INR 15,000.
T20 World Cup on Hotstar: Understanding the Match Targeting Options
- Full tournament– The price range for full tournament starts from Rs 85 (Branded Cards) and goes upto Rs 400 (Midroll – Living Room CTV). Default impressions delivery split for advertisers buying Full tournament format would be 50% impressions on India matches + Playoffs and 50% on Non India matches.
- India matches (Super 12 only) + Playoffs (3) – The price range for India matches (Super 12 ONY + Playoffs) starts from Rs 210 (Branded Cards) and goes upto Rs 585 (Preroll). India Matches + Playoffs rate card would mean that all impressions will be burnt on 5 India group stage matches + 3 playoffs (irrespective of India presence on playoffs)
- Non India matches (Super 12 Stage) – The price range for Non India matches (Super 12 stage) starts from Rs 150 (Midroll – HL) and goes upto Rs 360 (Midroll – Living Room (CTV)). Non India Matches rate card would mean that all impressions would be burnt on Non India matches in the Super 12 stage. This would not include any presence in the playoffs.
- Non India matches (Qualifier Stage) – The price range for Non India matches (Qualifier Stage) starts from Rs 60 (Branded Cards) and goes up to Rs 285 (Midroll – Living Room (CTV)).
Examples on How to use the audience targeting options to maximum effect
Example 1: Geography targeting
Targeting the Southern States: KKB Lungi
About the brand: KKB is a very popular lungi brand in the country.
Reason to select the targeting option: Lungi is particularly very popular in the Southern part of India. Men wear lungis at home as well as in public as well. Considering Hotstar has a significant population of male population, targeting the Southern States region like Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh/Telangana, and Karnataka can help the brand to reach out to the audience in target geographies only.
Example 2: NCCS audience Targeting
Targeting metro cities: Furlenco
About the brand: Furlenco is a popular furniture and appliances renting company.
Reason to select the targeting option: Furlenco has a presence in the top 6 metro cities. Considering the very high percentage of migrants in these metro cities (male form a higher percentage of the migrant population) and the convenience of renting furniture and appliances instead of buying, the T20 World Cup audience on Hotstar is a perfect fit for targeting. Hence, targeting the T20 World Cup audience in the six metros is a good idea for a company like Furlenco.
Example 3: Interest Targeting for people using E-commerce platform: Marie Claire
Reason to select the targeting option: T20 World Cup is a high-impact advertising property and provides the best launchpad for ecommerce sites for selling products to audiences who are active users of shopping sites. This type of audience has a high disposable income and are digitally savvy. Hence, targeting those who are watching the T20 World Cup live on Hotstar can be a good idea.
Example 4: Targeting people with handset value less than INR 15K: Brand Factory
About the brand: Brand Factory is one of India’s biggest discount retail chains that offers a wide range of apparels. Reason to select the targeting option: Brand Factory is one of the largest discount chains in India hence targeting budget handset would be an apt T20 World Cup 2021 advertising option on Hotstar.
Example 5: Targeting people with premium handsets (Handset Value above INR 15K): Imagine Stores
About the brand: Imagine stores are retailers of Apple products. Reason to select the targeting option: Apple products are expensive. People who already own a premium handset have high affinity towards buying expensive handsets and other gadgets by Apple.
Example 6: Language Targeting
Jewellery brand: Mangalam
About the brand: Mangalam is a South Indian jewellery brand, popular in the states of Karela, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
Reason to select the targeting option: Majority of the brand’s target audience would be in the Southern states and the language targeting comes in handy in such cases when you have to instill a sense of familiarity to gather people’s trust. All these three states have different language speaking populations. Hence it would be beneficial for the brand to target their different language speaking community through T20 World Cup advertising on Hotstar, using this targeting option.
ICC T20 World Cup 2021 Advertising Rates
- For Pre-roll ad video: INR 235 for a 6-30 sec video for 1000 ad impressions
- For Mid-roll ad video: for 1000 ad impressions
- Live (10-sec): INR 210
- Highlights (10-sec): INR 175
- Living Room (10-sec): INR 400
- For Branded cards on Social Feed: INR 85 for 1000 ad impressions
How to calculate the cost of advertising for the T20 World Cup 2021 on Hotstar?
Understanding the T20 World Cup advertising rates can be quite confusing because of the targeting levels and ad length. So, here’s a simple table that would help you understand the T20 World Cup 2021 advertising rates.
20 sec n 30 sec ad rate can be calculated on pro rata basis.
Check out the various advertising rates and options here.
Other opportunities to advertise in T20 World Cup 2021
Apart from the usual T20 World Cup 2021 advertising options, here are a few other T20 World Cup 2021 advertising options:
- On and off platform support: This is further divided into the following types-
- Branded tray
- Content masthead on sports page
- Social media posts by hotstar
- Social media posts by influencers
2. Bespoke content solutions-long & short form
Drive consideration & intent for your product with bespoke content solutions that work hard to highlight product benefits, address myths and showcase a deeper brand story.Coupled with the power of targeting on Sports and the organic reach of the platform during marquee tournaments, drive the message in these stories more aggressively.
No. of episodes – Min 3, up to 6 (basis client budget)
Length – 1 to 2 mins
Placement – Branded Tray on Sports page + talent social media + availability of content to publish on other platforms
Organic Viewership– 1-2 Min views/ asset on Platform
T20 World Cup Advertising 2021: The Hotstar Advantage and how to get the maximum out of your investment?
Recently, Hotstar carried out a study on 138 IPL campaigns on Hotstar in 2020 across advertisers from all verticals to measure the branding value of online ad campaigns and here are some of the findings from the study:
- Hotstar IPL 2020 campaigns outperformed industry benchmarks by 14%.
- Aided Awareness: A study to determine how many people (exposed to the ads) recognize the brand when given relevant hints about it (brand recognition).
- Message Association: A study that understands how many people (exposed to the ads) can associate /match the creative content/ad content to its brand.
- Purchase Intent: A study that measures how likely is the audience (exposed to the ad) is to consider purchasing the brand.
- If you think IPL 2020 advertising is for established brands only, check out the image below.
- Scale up performance by spending higher in T20 World Cup on Hotstar.
- A smaller campaign would work well for brand awareness but for consideration, brands should spend higher.
- Longer ads work better for the platform.
- Having a longer ad (15-20 sec) along with a smaller ad (5-10 sec) can improve the impact by 50%
Best practices for Low & High Budget T20 World Cup Advertisers on Hotstar
If you have a budget of less than INR 2 Crore
- Use single creative: +50% additional uplift
- Use at least 15-sec creative: +30% additional uplift for creatives with more than 10 sec length
- Have a targeted campaign: +50% additional uplift
- Strictly follow Kantar Guidelines for creative (CLIPS PrincT20 World Cupe explained in the following section): +38%additional uplift when campaigns followed at least 4 Kantar guidelines.
If you have a budget between INR 2 Crore- 5 Crore
- Use multT20 World Cupe creatives: +25% additional uplift
- Use a combination of 10s + 20s + 25/30 s: +23% additional uplift
- Have an open targeting: 9 out of 10 campaigns in T20 World Cup 2020 were ROS
- Strictly follow Kantar Guidelines for creative (CLIPS PrincT20 World Cupe explained in the following section): +13%additional uplift when campaigns followed at least 4 Kantar guidelines.
Common questions about T20 World Cup advertising
- Q- What is the minimum billing value for advertising in the T20 World Cup 2021 on Hotstar?
- A. The minimum billing value for Hotstar T20 World Cup 2021 advertising is INR 1 Lakh (Excluding GST) – Payable to vendor
- Q- Can advertisers select certain matches?
- a- They cannot select particular match, but they can select only India Matches+Playoffs, Non India Matches(super12 stage), Non India matches( Qualifier stage) or Full tournament
- Q. Can advertisers schedule multi T20 World Cup creatives as per the match?
- A- Advertisers can have multi T20 World Cup creatives for T20 World Cup advertising on Hotstar but cannot schedule them as per the match but they can schedule as per campaign dates.
- Q- Will the ads be shown to the paid subscribers for Hotstar?
- A- There is no particular targeting for premium audiences.
- Q- Can advertisers set a frequency cap for the ads?
- A- We cannot set frequency capping for live matches and we do not get frequency reports as well)
- Q- Can we re-target the audience on other programs after T20 World Cup advertising?
- A- Retargeting is not possible during T20 world cup as per targeting cohorts.
Hotstar Advertising during IPL 2020: Some Case Studies
Following are some Hotstar advertising case studies during T20 World Cup:
1. How an e-commerce giant promoted its annual sale season through the T20 World Cup 2020 on Hotstar.
- Brand: Flipkart
- Category: E-commerce
- Campaign Objective: To promote Big Billion Days Sale
- Approach & Targeting: Customized scheduling, Takeover of IPL Social Feed (Exclusive brand page), Celebrity Duets
- Creative: As shown in the figure below
- Highest visibility in the festive sale period- reached 38 million.
- Exclusive brand page presence on IPL social feed generated a funnel of 2 million visitors with a 2% organic CTR.
- The celebrity duets drove ~7lakh interactions.
2. How a pre-used car seller improved its brand uplift through customised ad scheduling
- Brand: Car Dekho
- Category: Automobile
- Campaign Objective: To maximise user intent
- Approach & Targeting: Chaser ads: Car Dekho ads were scheduled after auto OEM ads
- Creative: As shown in the figure below
- There was a 9% uplift in consideration vs the benchmark of 7%.
3. How an FMCG brand conveyed the geo-targeted message in key markets through Hotstar advertising
- Brand: Maggi
- Category: FMCG
- Campaign Objective: Geo-targeted messaging to build brands in key markets
- Approach & Targeting: Creatives specific to each market
- Mid-roll Video Ads
- 16% increase in brand awareness
- 9% increase in a purchase intent
4. How a B2B Finance App built awareness and drove app installs
- Brand: Khatabook
- Category: Finance
- Campaign Objective: To reach a relevant audience to build awareness and drive app installs
- Approach & Targeting: B2B targeting- retailers and business owners
- Mid-roll Video Ads
- 1.5 lakh installs
5. How a soap brand reached out to its core audience through audience targeting- female
- Brand: Lux
- Category: FMCG
- Campaign Objective: Brand building in relevant TGs
- Approach & Targeting: Female audience targeting
- Mid-roll Video Ads
- Uplift of 11% in Ad awareness
- Uplift of 9% in consideration
6. How a coupon brand drove user acquisition by investing in performance heavy assets
- Brand: Cashkaro.com
- Category: Finance
- Campaign Objective: To drive app installs
- Approach & Targeting: 6s Pre-roll and 10s Mid-roll ads
- Creative: Pre roll and mid roll video ads
- 70K installs in 2 weeks
- 80% install to sign-up rate
- 2% CTR
T20 World Cup Advertising Tips: How to design an effective creative?
A number of our customers ask us if there are any tips/best practices that we can share on how the video creatives for Hotstar advertising during T20 World Cup matches should be. So, we thought we would add the same here.
One important thing to keep in mind while conceptualizing a T20 World Cup ad is that during T20 World Cup live matches, the audience is totally engrossed in the cricket match. Hence, while we understand that it’s a high impact spot but a lot of it also depends on the video creative. If the creative is contextual and captures the audience’s attention without being a distractor, then the purpose is solved. For example, Swiggy had an insight that while watching a match, people usually order food. Using this insight, they designed the entire campaign where for every sixer, a special discount was offered to the audience. This is the best example of driving website traffic and purchase without diverting audience attention from the game.
In the previous section, we discussed the recent Hotstar study on 138 T20 World Cup ad campaigns carried during T20 World Cup 2020. Here are some of the learnings from Hotstar in terms of creative (The CLIPS PrincT20 World Cup)
- Clear brand role in the story: Interesting creatives are good but the essence lies in how well have you written the character your brand plays. About 92% of creatives followed this princT20 World Cup in T20 World Cup 2020 and saw a 1.8X impact.
- Last frame but also the first: Most digital ads end with a CTA page where the brand name and logo are displayed but a good practice is to include the brand name and logo in the first frame too. Only 57% of the creatives in T20 World Cup 2020 followed this and it got them 1.2X incremental impact.
- Integrate early: Do you like to keep your audience in suspense till the last frame of your ad or you integrate your brand early in the creative makes a big difference. 78% of the creatives in T20 World Cup 2020 followed this and got a 1.1X incremental impact.
- Presence of Human/Celebrity: When trying to establish a brand, a human face/ even better, a known face can help the audience connect with the brand and the ad. 91% creatives in T20 World Cup 2020 followed this and had a 1.9X incremental impact.
- Simple & clear messaging: T20 World Cup breaks are short and most audiences have a short attention span hence, the simpler and clearer the message is, the more impact it would create. 93% creatives followed this advice and the incremental impact was 1.4X.
T20 World Cup Advertising 2021 on Hotstar: How to measure the performance of your campaign?
While advertising on T20 World Cup 2021 on Hotstar, brands also have an option to opt for a 3rd party install/attribution measurement software as well as brand lift studies to help understand the performance of their campaign (at a nominal cost).
Want to know more about 3rd party installs/ attribution software? Check out our article on top 5 digital marketing attribution software.
Popular 3rd party trackers are compatible with Hotstar platform and can be integrated at a nominal cost of ~INR 1 CPM.
- Double Click Manager
Brand lift studies for Hotstar T20 World Cup advertisements are carried out by Kantar Millwardbrown.
Please note that the availability of these trackers and survey would be subject to some criteria. To know more, contact us at Help@TheMediaAnt.com.
Visit our website to know the latest rates and packages